"Hey guys im looking at backing up my bluray collection and was wondering what the best way to do this is. I realize there are going to be huge files but I want them as mkv for media browser and so the kids dont destroy my discs lol.
my media center should handle the conversion seeming it's a core i7, 8gb ram, 1.5tb hdd and bluray burner. So any help would be greatly appreciated."
Since I have been dealing with backing up both my Blurays and HD DVDs (yes, I have some of these) to hard disk recently, I stumbled across a pretty darn awesome program called Pavtube ByteCopy.
What makes MakeMKV so special is that is unique. It is essentially a decrypter and remuxer packaged into one. It decrypts Blu-rays, HD DVDs, and DVDs. You can use Pavtube ByteCopy to backing up commercial Blu-ray and DVD movies to MKV container format with multiple audio tracks and subtitles included for playback on PC and HD media players. Besides retaining multiple audio tracks (especially HD audios - Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio) and multiple subtitles in an MKV video without transcoding, Pavtube ByteCopy is also able to encode the original soundtracks into DTS 5.1 channels, AC3 5.1 channels, AAC 6 channels, PCM 6 channels, and MP3 6 channels with your wanted languages.
Movie lovers that would like to make 1:1 backup of Blu-ray Discs may download a trial of Pavtube ByteCopy software and follow the tutorial to create flawless digital copy your BD/DVD.
- Pavtube ByteCopy Trial version - A trial is free and functional-restricted. Lossless output can be used 3 times only.
- Pavtube ByteCopy Retail version - A full version is offered at $42 only by Pavtube Studio.
- Processor: Intel or AMD Dual core CPU, 1.6 MHz at least
- Operating System: Windows 2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
- Memory: 512MB or above
- Display resolution: 1024 x 768 or above
- Optical Drive: DVD drive/ BD drive(BD drive is required for ripping Blu-ray disc)
To save your time and efforts, lossless Blu-ray/DVD to MKV backup is shorted into a 3-step process.
Step 1. Click Load Disc button to import movie files from DVD/ Blu-ray Disc.
Step 2. Click the Edit Disc button to select desired subtitles and audio tracks for all chapters. The software keeps all subtitles and audio streams by default. Choose "Lossless" in dropdown list of "Format" box if you'd like to backup Blu-ray video stream without quality losss.
Step 3. Click the "Convert" button to start lossless backing up Blu-ray and DVD movie to MKV files.
In this way Pavtube ByteCopy extracts the main movie with selected subtitles and audio tracks from disc and seals the contents into MKV container without transcoding, which means you get lossless quality MKV videos.
Some helpful tips for first-time users:
- How to use Pavtube ByteCopy to backup DVD/Blu-ray Disc to MKV files with all audio and subtitle streams?
Learn More Useful Tips:
1. By default the video size is "original". When you make changes to video size, please also check the "Encode" box below "All Subtitle Stream". When a subtitle looks fine on 1920*1080 video, it might go beyond the screen when the video is resized to 1280*720, so make sure the subtitle is converted as well.
2. Do not set 6 channels for audio when MP3 or MP2 codec is selected. Do not set 1 channel when DTS is set as audio codec.
3. A lossless Blu-ray movie can take up space ranges from 20GB to 50GB. If you want to cut down file size, try setting smaller value in video "Bitrate" instead of using "original".
- 18000kpbs- excellent HD video quality
- 8000kbps- DVD video quality
- 2000kbps- video for portable media players (e.g. Galaxy Tab, Archos 101)
- 512kbps- video for regular mobile phones
4. When H.264 is set for encoding video streams, you may take advantage of CUDA encoding. Follow "Tools -> Preference -> Others" to set CUDA encoder.
5. In order to play a video clip properly on your device, make sure the video is encoded with proper codec (ByteCopy offers H.264, Xvid, MPEG-2 only) and packed in proper container format (MKV only for ByteCopy) with proper bitrate, frame rate, resolution, audio channels.
Added July 9, 2013Pavtube ByteCopy is upgraded!
It’s now a much more powerful Blu-ray/DVD ripper/converter, and BD/DVD multi track preserver.
- Automatically detect Blu-ray/DVD main movie
- Full disc copy Blu-ray/DVD by chapters without quality loss
- Rip/convert/backup BD/DVD to any other format for playback on any iOS/Android/Windows tablets and phones
- Backup BD/DVD to MKV format with multi audio/subtitle tracks and chapter markers without any quality loss.
- Convert BD/DVD to MP4/MOV with multi audio (language) tracks
- Add SRT, ASS, and SSA subtitles to BD/DVD movie
- Edit BD/DVD movies: trim off commercials, crop off black bars, merge several chapters into one, split one movie into several pieces, and more
- Support TrueHD 6.1 and TrueHD 7.1 decoding
- Support latest BD and DVD (BD/DVD/Ultimate/iMedia)
It’s upgrade, but still $42 and free to try.
- Rip DVD To Personal Cloud Device For Watching On DLNA Players
- Rip DVD to M3U8 format for HTTP Live Speaming with Android
- Rip 3D M2TS to 3D MP4 for Panasonic TC-P65VT60 TV and Samsung HT-D6750 TV
- Watch Blu-ray Movies on BlackBerry Priv
- Rip 2D Blu-ray to 3D for Uploading to YouTube